Bright and crazy hair color is a huge trend right now. People are really having fun with a variety of rainbow hues.
I've had clients coming in left and right asking for ombre ends with a hint of pink or purple, and many clients are going really bold and opting for a tie-dyed look, using multiple colors to create a rainbow effect.
The biggest problem that stylists run into when using crazy hair color is that you often end up with mixed results. These semi-permanent hair colors are known to fade fast, and often times it can be difficult to get the color into the hair in the first place. Pre-lightening and taking the proper after-care can make a huge difference in the outcome, but bold, crazy hair color really starts with choosing the right product.
Below you'll find my top choices in crazy hair color brands and some tips to ensure that the color is true and long-lasting.
1. Helpful Tips Before You StartBelow you'll find a few favorite pro-tips to make your crazy hair color bright and fade-resistent.
- Rinse hair color with cool water which will seal the cuticle and lock in color. Hot water will cause the cuticle to swell and the color to run out of the hair.
- Process color for longer than the recommended processing time.
- Make sure the hair is clean and dry before applying your color. If the cuticle is filled with water, the color will not be able to fully saturate the hair.
- Skip conditioner when prepping the hair - shampoo only.
- Lock color in with an after-color treatment like Kerastase Concentre Pixelist. This treatment adds shine, seals the cuticle and makes the color really last.
2. Punky Color by Jerome Russell
Punky Color by Jerome Russell is a major favorite among stylists. This color is super long-lasting and comes in a variety of fun and crazy colors. Turquoise, Rose Red and Alpine Green are a few of my favorites. You can pick up a jar for around 8 bucks at folica.com
3. Raw Color by Hot Topic
This is another favorite crazy color brand from the folks that know trashy-punk best, Hot Topic. This stuff really works and has great staying power. There aren't a ton of colors to choose from, but the ones they do have turn out bright and bold. This brand is on the pricier end of the spectrum at $12.99 a bottle.
4. Manic Panic
Manic Panic wins in the nostalgia department but there's also a reason why this hair color brand has been around for a long time, it works! I've found that Manic Panic works best when you process it for longer that the recommended time.
Manic Panic is a great bet when you're trying to achieve pastel hues on lighter hair. It gives you that really nice translucent, pastel look, but will actually last for more than a couple of shampoos. The thicker gel formula also makes for easy application.